Sunday, May 1, 2011

So Cool

I remember the days when I was embarrassed to go places with my parents. Now I live for them.

This weekend rocked. Not only because at this time next week I’ll be sipping margaritas on the beach in Florida, but also because it was “Cool Weekend.”

“Cool Night” began last year and we have since decided to make it a tradition following Might-As-Well-Be-Virgin-2’s birthday. Cool Night is nothing more than wearing cool clothes, shorts and cutoff t-shirts would suffice, and doing cool activities. Anything from swimming to hanging out with your parents obviously is considered cool.

The festivities began on Friday with our basketball banquet. Oddly enough, instead of embracing the ceremony and calling it a night, majority of the evening was spent overhearing our parents whisper about the after party.

I’m not sure if it’s cool to have such outgoing and party hungry parents or just really weird. Basically, as soon as the wonderful banquet ended, all the parents sprinted to their cars and dragged us along to Bender’s (a local bar).

Bender’s has grown awfully familiar with our parents and I thought it quite embarrassing that the bartender had no recognition of me, but called majority of the parents by first name.

The night was entertaining to say the least. I’m not sure if it was the alcohol talking or our parents thinking it was okay to say half of the things they said but three of my favorite quotes of the night:

1.      “I had my first kid thanks to tequila.”
2.      “If my daughter shot the basketball like beer pong, she’d be a force to reckon with.”
3.      “If I partied this hard in college, I might not have made it through.”

Oddly enough, every daughter left before their parents. Not sure if they are just cooler or we were just over their stories. Regardless, they continued on and as we left they shouted "We can't wait til next year!"... yeah us too crazies.

We made stops around town until I eventually called it a night. Unfortunately, I missed the most cool part of cool night 1. As Red, Hooters, and M-A-W-B-V-2 dropped off Beaver at the on campus apartments, they were approached by a random girl.

Girl- Are you guys So College?

M-A-W-B-V-2 looked around and shook her head as she explained that Yes, they were So College.

Girl- Oh my gosh! Red! M-A-W-B-V-2! So Collegeeee! Can you guys take a picture for me?

Red, M-A-W-B-V-2 and Hooters proceeded to pose for pictures and videos for their new best friend.

The next morning I was telling Red how I would have loved to have been there for that and all she said was, “Hometown celebs… no big deal.”

Saturday followed Cool Weekend protocol perfectly. We left around noon to head to Baltimore for a stuffing face competition at Phillips. Phillips, for those who don’t know, is an all you can eat seafood restaurant. We go every year with M-A-W-B-V-2’s family as part of her birthday celebration.

Red, PE Teacher, Hooters, M-A-W-B-V-1, M-A-W-B-V-2 and I, spent over an hour refilling our plates with crab legs, mussels and clams… and then a cookie.

No, I do not regret it.

We then caused chaos around inner harbor for a few hours in celebration of M-A-W-B-V-2’s birthday. After she began explaining how funny it would be if she pushed me in to the harbor considering my boot that I wear for my broken foot would probably weigh me down… we figured we should leave.

Every one of us passed out upon our arrival home. I was sleeping wonderfully UNTIL Red came barging around the house at 9pm to awake us for the first annual 420 Olympic Competition. I know that no one knows exactly what these Olympics entailed and you never will. BUT, I will leave you with a picture and the assurance that the Red Team won and will forever be the first champions…

RED TEAM/ WINNERS!

I suppose I will thank all the participants... job well done friends, job well done.


Participants of first Olympic Competition!
(Sepcial thanks to the ref)





No comments:

Post a Comment