Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Mustico Miracle?

P.E Teacher asked me to write a letter concerning her friends, the Mustico’s. She’s my roommate, so I decided to help her spread the word. The letter will explain all. She is sending the letters out to every famous person she can think of. Long shot right, but HELL miracles can happen, right?

Please Contact Melissa if you are interested in helping her fight for this cause.

Here is Regis and Kelly’s personalized letter:

Dear Regis and Kelley,

            My name is Hannah Safren. I’m now a junior at Shepherd University. Every morning at 9 AM, coffee in hand, my roommates and I pile together in the living room to watch your show. We’re huge fans!
            So yes, I wanted to write to say you guys are an essential part of our morning routine (Thanks J), but that’s not all. This letter is just like many others I’m sure- I’m asking for your help.  
            College has introduced me to the person I want to be; to the friends I always want to be with and to the realization of what’s important in life.
            This story is important.
            One of my roommates, Melissa Furr, has been working endlessly with no reward to help the Mustico family for NINE long years. She held concerts, a 5K, she sold T-Shirts, bracelets and baked goods, but still the Mustico family is in dire need of more.
            Mel grew up with the Mustico family and grew attached to their positive personalities and their heart wrenching story. Stacy Mustico has two sons, Hayden and Tyler. Both of the boys have been battling the terminal disease, ALD (Adrenoleukodystrophy).
Hayden was diagnosed with the degenerative brain disease at the age of 13 and is now nearing the average life expectancy of 10 years, at age 21.
            Tyler was diagnosed last year at age 18 and is already losing his ability to walk.
            The Mustico family has been troubled with many unfortunate events over the last years. The father of the boys lost his job, lost the family’s insurance and then left the family after Hayden was diagnosed. Stacy commuted to Northern Virginia from Richmond twice a week for years to support her family, but unfortunately lost her job just a few months ago.
                        The Mustico family needs help. They have no health insurance and nowhere to turn. Supporters, family and friends have contributed what they can, but times are hard. Due to their financial situation, the family is now separated. Hayden lives with his grandparents in Richmond, Virginia and Tyler and Stacey are living in an Apartment in Cincinnati, where Tyler is receiving the treatments they can afford.
            ANY, ANY, ANY help would be beneficial to the cause. Buy a shirt, Send money, or mention the disease for awareness… anything! I have absolutely NO connection to the Mustico family, but Melissa is one of my best friends and I see how much she wants this family to be happy. She wants Tyler and Hayden to live their lives to the fullest. She wants them to be okay.
I don’t want to see Melissa’s face sadden over a phone call from Stacy Mustico one more time. Help if you can and thank you for your time, we’ll still watch your show regardless… maybe. Kidding!

Thanks,
Hannah Safren

Contact Information
Melissa Furr (703)-674-8385 or mfurr01@shepherd.edu
Hannah Safren (540)-272-6131 or Hsafre01@shepherd.edu

2 comments:

  1. I knew Tyler in high school in theater class, do you know how he's doing? they made us watch Lorenzo's oil in my science classes back then and I was absolutely terrified for him when I heard he had ALD.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand this is from a very long time ago, but I had a wild hair to search up Tyler from knowing him in theatre as well, and when I couldn't find him on FB I used Google at large and couldn't believe this when I found it. I had no concept of the depth of the struggle his family has gone through, never mind him and his brother. This is heartbreaking.

      Delete