Thursday, March 24, 2011

Goodbye Right Leg.

I got my foot amputated today…

Just kidding.

But I did spend the two hour ride back to Culpeper this morning imagining life without a right foot.

See, a few nights ago my foot started to itch. Let me make it clear that it was not the kind of itch that you get from a bug bite, or cut or even lice… It was a bad fucking unbearable itch. I assumed it was from this 3inch slice finally healing, so I obnoxiously complained about how annoying it was, spent my nights wondering why God hated me and FINALLY figured out I was having an allergic reaction. After clarifying this with my athletic trainer yesterday, I decided to keep a close watch on it. This morning I woke up itching the hell out of my inner thigh and after a phone call to my doctor explaining the reaction is moving up my leg, P.E.Teacher and I hopped in the car for a 12:00 appointment.

Amputation was my immediate cure to the problem. I assumed I was either allergic to the bone graft or the new screw in my foot and the doctor was going to slice my foot open this afternoon. LUCKILY I’m just having an allergic reaction to the solution used during the surgery.

Sigh of relief of course, although I was getting use to my life with no right foot. I imagined the first few weeks being a bit boring- cooped up in a bed all day is no college lifestyle BUT I would get so many goodies and lots of special treatment. I figured sure, the recovery months following would be long and sometimes painful, but I would 1. Get to skip school for a while. 2. Definitely walk again. 3. Maybe get one of those springy fake legs and run marathons, which would lead to fantastic stories and result in traveling the world to give motivational speeches about “how life goes on” or “if I can do it, so can you.”

I realized this year in the midst of losing both my uncle and grandmother, having surgery for the second time on my foot and realizing my major will get me nowhere, that life is good. It’s really fucking good. If you can open your eyes in the morning and breathe, that’s good.

I’m on a high dosage of steroids for the next week and although I’m dreading putting on a few pounds, there is many positives to the steroids.

1.      I have these polyps that block the breathing passage way in my nose. I had surgery once before, but it was miserable and it failed. This is apparently very common and you may have to repeat the surgery numerous times for it to finally work. Well basically I told the doctor to fuck off and I still can’t breathe BUT while I was taking steroids my freshman year for some deathly illness, I could breathe. I remember calling my mom and telling her I just smelled a candle for the first time in my life. It was cranberry.
2.      I can eat whatever I want and blame the extra LB’s on the steroids… I’ll probably respond like “gee, the steroids must be working fast.” Oh well.
3.      Steroids= still have two feet.

All my teammates are going out dancing tonight. They’re all dressed up and having fun and well I’m just lying in bed with my foot propped up on a pillow and resisting the urge to scratch my leg while the Glee CD is blasting on our surround sound stereo system that runs throughout the house. Might-As-Well-Be-Virgin-2 just ran up the stairs wondering why I wasn’t going out.

Me- Well, I have a broken, soon to be amputated foot…
M-A-W-B-V-2- I hope it does get amputated… that would make for a great blog.

With little hesitation I’m gonna still argue that yes, Life is good.

http://www.socollegeblog.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment