Saturday, April 16, 2011

Stepping Stones

I have been given the opportunity to write a small article in the Culpeper Star Exponent. I've decided to share with the blog followers outside of Culpeper. You'll never guess what it's about...

My little bro sent me this via Iphone here's the rest of the article:

College is not really that stepping stone in to “real life” like I was always told. Nope, nothing like that. I’ll provide examples:
1.       Buffet’s for breakfast, lunch and dinner don’t teach you how to cook. They actually spoil you and happily offer you that extra 15 pounds you’ve always dreamed of. You will NOT get homemade omelets and premade coffee post-college.
2.        School allows you to postpone those haunting loans you’ve gracefully taken full advantage of. Once you graduate, you can say goodbye to the good life. Bills must be paid and collection agencies aren’t fond of waiting.
So no, I have no credentials or reasons to act like I really know what the “real world” is all about, but truth is, as a junior at Shepherd University, I have no intentions of rushing into bills and grocery lists.
But again, I’ll force my opinions on all of those too old to remember and those anxiously approaching the best years of their lives, that college may not be the stepping stone that truly teaches you the responsibilities of daily living, but it is indeed a stepping stone.
 I’ve learned, like many others I assume (and hope for the sake of my reputation), that occasionally you may be the stone that gets stepped on… move on, life happens. Sometimes you’ll step right over the stones, possibly skipping something you would have enjoyed or something you would have regretted. And then eventually, you will follow the stepping stones to right where you want and need to be.
As an upper classman, I now deem myself eligible of spreading knowledge. Well, I’ve always had a way with words- majority of the time they are unreliable, but I am a marketing and communication major, so I have a way of influencing and convincing. Regardless, now that I have a little background under me and those 15 pounds, I feel it necessary to spread what I have gathered.
College is a time to experiment, I suggest you stay free of harmful substances and illegal actions, but it is a time to find yourself, discover who you are and who you want to be. As a high school jock, trouble-maker and jokester, it’s ironic that I have found a true appreciation for poetry. 
I’ve heard opposites attract.
What I am ultimately getting at, is that College will offer you everything you need to succeed, but YOU MUST TAKE ADVANTAGE. Get involved, get outside your comfort zone and jump all over those stepping stones.
Week 1 “So College” advice: Perfection is perception. Do not let anyone influence your likes and dislikes. Discover you. Be the best you, because according to my perception, that is perfect.




No comments:

Post a Comment