Monday, August 8, 2011

Star Exponent Article

I still have a flip phone. Yes, I know I’m about five years outdated and unfortunately it’s at the point where people look at me weird when I slyly slam my phone shut. Regardless of my awkward stares, I spend endless hours admiring the world and writing any interesting quotes in to the “notes” section of my faithful flip phone.

I was recently skimming through what I refer to as my “phone quotes” and came across one that read, “I have seen tomorrow.”

I immediately flashed back to my metro ride into DC last October. I remember seeing the quote on a poster and although I don’t recall what it was promoting, I do remember jotting it down for later contemplation.

Here I am today, just shy of a year later, trying to relate the quote to myself.

Approaching my senior year and the ripe age of 22, I am (might I add just recently) embracing who I am, understanding life and attempting to turn those visions of tomorrow in to today’s reality.

The problem with this is that I see things in a way that no one else sees it. In fact, this is the case with every single other person.

Are differences a tragedy? Hardly — unless of course we are speaking of the recent debt ceiling crises, but in general, different views, opinions and understandings are what makes life … life.

My brother, Mo, called the other night. Just a year separates the two of us, so we manage to agree and understand each other on most topics.

We spoke about the typical life issues and he mentioned, “You know, we’re getting to this point in our life when we’re starting to realize that it’s … messed up.” He continued, “Why can’t things just be the way I think is right?”

Sure, he thinking that his way is “right” sounds selfish, but that’s hardly what he meant and I thoroughly understood his statement.

If the world ran in accordance to our personal likes and dislikes it would be easy; so obviously when those trying times and tough days approach us, we can’t help but to wonder why things don’t go our way?

Well, if I’ve learned anything at all, it’s that life is never easy because in the simplest of sayings, “That’s life,” and that’s just what I told my brother.

I pondered the conversation for a bit wondering how simple the idea of “easy” is, but how hard it is to actually accomplish. After giving up on the thought, I concluded that “easy” was for losers.

Perfection is perception. Living is for the excited, the adventurous, the rambling conversations, the unexpected, finding love, finding yourself, embracing passions and most importantly being happy.

So College Advice: Life is for those not afraid to live it. Of course the idea of truly living is different to everyone, but for the sake of sharing, I suggest you find yourself- your happiness. Because being happy makes life worth living and well, life is all right.

No comments:

Post a Comment