Thursday, July 14, 2011

Star Exponent Article

As my family packed a bag and headed down to Southport, North Carolina for this past weekend’s events, I stayed behind with my little brother so he could attend to his important high school plans that will become very unimportant in just a few days and extremely insignificant in a year or two.

It ended up being an excellent weekend.

I’ve noticed as the years pass, those annual events that I used to snore or converse through have become more and more enjoyable. Whether I never noticed or never cared to notice, this past weekend was the first time I saw how wonderful fireworks are.

Sure the whole idea of colorful fire splashing itself across the night sky is appealing, but have you ever really looked? Have you ever followed just one spark? Watched it as it created a beautiful picture and followed that one spark as it sailed into the moonlit sky and diminished in the blink of an eye?

From the cool Yowell Meadow Park grass, I witnessed the most unbelievable painting, the perfect picture. The greatest part about the image is that no camera could truly capture a firework’s essence.

My parents came home on Tuesday and after I shared my eye opening experience, they shared theirs.
Southport has been stamped a popular Fourth of July fairground for the state of North Carolina. As locals and visitors laced the sidewalks of the quaint All-American town, the Grand Marshall of the parade made its way down the street.

A local Southport couple had attended a ceremony in honor of their son who had worked on the 104th floor of the North Twin Tower that once stood in New York City. Upon their visit they came in contact with the 9-11 National Flag, which was originally found in the rubble of the fallen building.
After seven long years, the tattered flag was stitched back together with several retired flags by a group of tornado survivors in Greensburg, Kan.

The Southport couple put in a bid to have the historic flag come to the proud Southport town and ultimately won over the city of Philadelphia. It was the perfect Grand Marshall.

After the flag’s summer tour, it will find its permanent home in the National Sept. 11 Museum at Ground Zero.

Although I felt my July Fourth experience was monumental, my family’s sighting overshadowed it. What is most amazing though is not that I missed out on an historic artifact, but that in the small town of Culpeper, I too witnessed the story of America.

I was accompanied by the thankful, surrounded by the brave and I was privileged to hear freedom ring.

So College Advice: Fourth of July has passed so forget the epic firework show until next year. Instead, the next flag you pass — look at it. If you are a believer, pray for those who defend it. If you are a dreamer, recognize it for the opportunities it offers us; and if you are an American, give thanks for what it stands for.

No comments:

Post a Comment