Friday, September 7, 2012

Chicago


I ventured out to Chicago for a little day-trip with a top-notch Polyglass sales rep, in an attempt to learn the ways of the roofing industry.

Lesson one: Relationships.

That’s what this business is –building and growing relationships, which eventually evolves into meaningful partnerships, some even becoming genuine friendships.

While waiting for a connection flight in Philly, I chugged down a brewski with two fellow passengers and eventually found myself in a sales lesson with a former Insurance agent.

She was a mix between Pat Summit and Jane Fonda. Fascinating, I know. Before hopping on her flight to Cleveland, she left me with a tug of my hair and the following:

Know NASCAR down south. Know your customers. Know where Bob’s son goes to college; when he tells you, you write it down and the next time you see Bob you ask how little Tommy is doing at Virginia Tech. Know when to be Miss Southern Bell and when to be a hard- nosed woman. If you don’t know the answer, be honest about it. Return phone calls and most importantly, don’t always be yourself… Nope, don’t do that.

And that was good...

The trip was short, and full of roofer things. I said my goodbyes to Chicago and hopped on a flight home. I found myself seated next to an Orthodox Jew –a real one. As he so eloquently stated, “It is no accident we are seated next to each other.” Within minutes the two of us were enthralled in all things G-d.

After exchanging information, I hopped on his religious based blog and read,The underlying question for all Jews throughout all of our history has always been whether we choose to grow or not.  And by “grow” I mean taking our corporeal existence, and aiming upward, always seeking to improve."

Jew or not, this is the ultimate question for all humans, or so it should be.

The Jew and I parted ways and while heading to catch the midnight shuttle back to my car, I ran into the man whom I had met during my flight to Chicago- "it is no accident."

A smile erupted on his face as we exchanged words about our short trips. He lost his luggage- “A trip from hell” is how he said it. Ironic after my previous G-d driven conversation. Our convo was quickly interrupted when the University of Maryland Women’s Basketball Coach, Brenda Frese stepped in front of us.

Despite my age (22) and my post-basketball playing days, I was star struck as I introduced myself to the level-headed, friendly Coach. As we waited for our shuttle, we exchanged words on her upcoming season, my personal college basketball experience and so on.

I felt real fucking cool.

We said goodbye and I headed back to good ol’ Shepherdstown, WV thinking only about how I had just witnessed the best of America in less than 48 hours.

A Chicago- based hospitalities sales rep
An Asian, father of two, CEO of Canon
A 30-year insurance agent who is now retired, on her way to see her mother who “doesn’t remember this morning”
A former Military man who is now a Roofing Sales Rep
An Orthodox Jew, writer and innovator
And Brenda Frese –the woman at the core of every athletic dream, I once aspired to conquer.

People like to talk. I listen to them and they to me and that’s what this whole life thing is about: experiences, encounters, relationships.

1 comment:

  1. Hannah, you speak to the realities of life in such an eloquent manner. I hope to read your book on Reba when it comes out. I had no idea. Keep traveling and sharing. You're good! Mary

    ReplyDelete